How To Relinquish A Pet
Sometimes people need to relinquish (give away) their dog or cat. It is often a sad situation, but we can help. We accept animals only from residents of the unincorporated areas of San Diego County.
- There may be a way to help you keep your pet. Alternatives and resources.
- If you need to relinquish an animal because of medical, financial, behavioral or other reason you may bring it to any County Animal Shelter.
- If your pet is suffering from a medical condition or is unsafe in the household, you may relinquish the animal for euthanasia after paying a $10 fee.
- If you have no other options but to surrender your pet, please be prepared to spend some time with us so we may collect information that will help it adjust to a new owner.
- Your pet may have more success in a new home if we have full disclosure of all medical and behavioral issues. If possible, please bring veterinary records.
- There is a $40 fee for relinquishing a pet.
- If the animal is healthy, it can be put up for adoption right away so a new home may be found as quickly as possible.
- Please bring your pet to the shelter yourself along with your identification and a form of payment.
- Come to the shelter during business hours. Do NOT leave an animal outside the shelter when we are closed. This can be very dangerous to your pet.