Euthansia Reduction Policy
The San Diego Animal Welfare Coalition (SDAWC) includes County Animal Services and six other local animal shelters. They work together to educate the public about responsible pet ownership and to increase opportunities for the adoption of homeless pets.
Members of the SDAWC include:
- City of Chula Vista Animal Care Facility
- City of Coronado Animal Care Facility
- City of El Cajon Animal Control Services
- County of San Diego, Department of Animal Services
- Friends of Cats
- Rancho Coastal Humane Society
- San Diego Humane Society and American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals
For many years SDWAC, along with other community partners, have helped ensure that no healthy or treatable animal is euthanized in San Diego County. It is called our “Getting to Zero” program. In the last 40 years the save rate for animals has been increased from 30 percent to the 81 percent it is today.