Thinking about giving your children a bunny or a chick as a special
gift? Please think again.
- These are extremely vulnerable little animals that make poor
- Even when families try to give their best care to these
creatures, most baby bunnies, chicks and ducks die within a few
- These animals require special feeding, care and
- It is easy for children to
accidentally break the animals’ fragile bones or cause other fatal
- The animals that do survive to adulthood are often
turned over to animal services agencies and it can be difficult to
find new homes for them.
- These little animals can carry
salmonella that can be transferred to your family. Salmonella causes
severe inflammation of the gastrointestinal tract and children are
especially vulnerable to this disease.
You can help prevent cruelty to the baby animals by giving your
children a stuffed animal, and after the holidays consider adopting a
cat or dog from your local animal shelter.